[Amps] Winding rf chokes quickly - without a lathe

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Winding rf chokes quickly - without a lathe
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:50:05 -0800
OK, I am on a roll.  Although I have 3 lathes, I am building a separate room
/machine shop and my lathes are unavailable for the moment.  But, I wanted
to wind a quick rf choke to test theory mentioned in the prior post.  Not
wanting to wind one by hand, I found the desired core, which was tapped at
one end.  Looking in my standoff drawer, I found a 3/8" diameter standoff
with a stud on one end - which fit into the proposed rf choke.

Put the standoff into a cordless drill sitting on the floor, and holding the
drill in one hand I used my thumb to control placement of the wire.  Just a
short time later, I had a nice looking solenoid rf choke, neatly wound.
Whole process, from idea to rf choke, took about 5 minutes.

73,  Colin  K7FM