[Amps] 4K Ultra Restoration

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 4K Ultra Restoration
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:06:37 -0500
After doing an inventory of my HV wire, I find that I have 17' of the real
good stuff - 40KV.  It is not enough to wire up a man-size amp but it will
be enough for the 4KU.

Regarding cleaning the tar, I find that Tuff Stuff that can be bought at
Walmart for under $3 works great and it supposedly wont discolor paint.
Tarn-X works great for restoring silver plated material but it really stinks
and you have to watch out for it as it contains acid.

After finally getting the RF deck out of the upper cabinet, I find that the
tar deposits are very light.  I don't want to get into removing that group
of 3 ganged tuned capacitors so I was relieved that they look good enough.
Cleaning up the chain drive mechanism turned to be a snap.  I'm waiting for
the Service manual that my good CA buddy W6RU up in B-field sent me. so I
can make sure that the timing is properly set when the tune knob is turned.

Still looking for a replacement blower.  I did find the Dayton number 2C917.
$125 at Grainger but I can't buy from them because I don't have their secret
handshake.  Does anyone have input as to how noisy the stock blower is in
the 4KU?  The one I bought was really quiet but when I got inside it turned
out to be 2 stacked muffin fans that one of the previous owner/klugger had
substituted.  Maybe he didn't like the blower noise, who knows.

Anyway, I'd like to get this amp on line before my A78 goes down the road
later this month. John, W4DJ, you really did a nice job on your A78
restoration. $400 for a Peter Dahl xfmr  Ouch!!

Later,
Bob  W6TR