[Amps] HF-2500DX Has time told the story? ? ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HF-2500DX Has time told the story? ? ?
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 14:12:08 -0600
I might purchase a used QRO HF-2500DX (sn 5411). QRO is closed for the holidays
(until Feb 2006!) so I have a few questions "you guys" might be able to answer
for me...

But first, upon researching the AMPS archive I found a lively debate regarding
the design and reliability of this amplifier back in 1997. That's quite a long
time ago for a piece of electronic hardware now-a-days. Also, during my radio
career I homebrewed 811's, 572's and 4-1000's. I thought I knew what I was
doing. I also purchased the NCL-2000, AL1200, AL1500, TL922, IC-2KL, and a pair
of Alpha 87A's. I thought I knew what I was doing.

Now that I have read a lot of the AMPS archive, it's apparent that I don't have
a clue! So...

My first question: Can someone estimate the build date of this amplifier by the
serial number (5411)?

My second question: Has QRO addressed the alleged design issues such as not
enough Pi-C for 40m and 160m operation, their quality of construction
(classified as "junk"), and tune-up & operation procedure (classified as
"lousy"), etc...

I will certainly be able to open the cabinet and determine the quality of
construction myself, but my research conflicts with the notion the 2500 is
"junk".

The tune-up procedure "issue" seems to revolve around the lack of an internal
power output meter and not using the traditional "tune, dip, load, and peak"
process. Different doesn't necessarily mean "lousy" in my book.

Here's my amplifier goals:

1) Reliability
2) Full legal power output
3) RTTY contesting
4) 160m and 40m no compromise operation
5) Relatively quiet
6) QSK

Like any mechanical/electrical device in life, there will be a full spectrum of
user experiences. I've had my share of both ends of the spectrum. I want to
avoid the bottom this time!

Thanks in advance for insight into this specific product.

73 de Bob - K0RC