Re: [Amps] ?Bargain? Transformer Connections

To: LKBrownMD@cs.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] ?Bargain? Transformer Connections
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:58:53 EST

Terminals A-C are clearly the secondary connections. I trick to help sort
out the primary connections is to apply 120vac to the secondary and start
measuring voltages on the primary connections. Once you have fully identified
what
hopefully are a pair of 120vac primary windings (with taps) you can develop
a schematic of the transformer. You can determine phasing of the primary by
connecting the two windings in series. When in phase, the voltage will be two
times. When out of phase voltage will be near zero.

Since the secondary is rated for 1160vac, you would expect to see about
12vac on the primary connections during the above testing. With the primary
windings in phase connected the voltage will be about 24vac.

Hope this helps.

73/K5GW

In a message dated 12/27/2005 3:05:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,