Re: [Amps] Calibrate a panel meter?

To: dezrat1242@ispwest.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Calibrate a panel meter?
From: HAROLD B MANDEL <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:40:40 -0500
Bill,

You can send it off to any one of dozens of meter repair and calibration
places
like Simpson in New Jersey.

If you like your panel meter, repair and calibrate it. We do these all
the time in
central office power plants because the constant flow of current through
them
decalibrates them, and we even have to have our test DMM's recalibrated
every year.

If you don't do this for a living then don't think that you can succeed
as a hobbyist. I've seen so many people at work try to fudge beautiful
panel meters and end up with a trashcan entry. And these people
imagined they were qualified.

This reminds me of my buddy's brother who, visiting one day,
found my buddy's numchuks and started whirling them around
because he saw Bruce Lee use them in a movie.

He only got so far and had to have them gently removed from his
twitching fingers as he lay on the carpet.....

Fondly,

Hal Mandel
W4HBM

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:20:12 -0800 Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
writes:
> I have a Simpson 923A panel meter, 1 amp full scale. It is reading
> low by about 6%. When it has 800 ma through it, it indicates about
> 750 ma. I'll be using it in my 8877 amp at 800 ma and I'd like it to
>
> be more accurate.
>
> If it were reading high, I could just shunt it, but reading
> low...???
>
> Is there a way to calibrate it by adjusting anything inside? Moving
>
> the magnets around, etc? I'm sure the factory calibrates them
> somehow
> but I've never read anything in the ham literature about how to do
> it.
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> 73, Bill W6WRT

Harold Mandel