Re: [Amps] Drake L-4B fan - too small and too slow?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L-4B fan - too small and too slow?
From: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:37:36 +0100
All the tubes of the 4/400 family (tetrodes) manufactured by Valvo,
Siemens, Telefunken etc. have graphite anodes.
Those anodes are already dark red at idle current and become
dull red or orange at their full dissipation starting from the bottom.
Most are specified for 350° glass envelope temperatur, 180° at
their socketpins and 220° at their anode pin.
The anode is specified with "dull red at 850° ".
The same applies to the triode family TBx/xxx and the BBC
zero bias triodes like T-510.
I use QB4/1100 (4-400A, RS1002A)  highµ connected in my L4Bs
for almost 30 years with the first set of tubes.
One is with the original P/S, the other with a homebrew delivering 4KV.
On the latter I use an EBM blower and also cool the bandswitch with
a small fan. The tubes anodes usually are red/orange on long transmissions
with 2K out ( 900W dissipation).
With the original P/S they are  red at 1300W out. and 700W of dissipation.

73
Peter