Re: [Amps] SHV Connectors & Coax

To: "Dugas, Jason A. (JSC-EP)" <jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SHV Connectors & Coax
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:49:56 +0000
Dugas, Jason A. (JSC-EP) wrote:
> I have read the postings concerning the best connectors to use for routing
> high voltage from the PSU to the RF Deck.
>
> So far looking at the available parts from Newark (www.newark.com) I have
> found 15 parts that reference "SHV".
>
> Can someone give me some guidance as to what models I should use?  I need to
> get 3kV or so from the PSU to the RF deck.  I'm guessing I'll need two
> bulkhead connectors (one with a socket for the PSU and the other with a pin
> for the amp).  Also, I'm guessing I'll need two connectors to make the wire
> run.
>
> Also, after reading all the posts about coax, etc., I'm even more confused
> than before!  If I'm going to use these fancy SHV connectors, what wire/coax
> should I use?  Does that have any impact on which connectors I'd choose?
>
> Thanks for any comments and further clarification of previous posts.
>
> Jason
> KB5URQ

Huber and Shuner used to make SHV connectors. The company was renamed
some time back I think, but can't recall what it is called now. They
actually make them - not just sell them.

The cable can potentially be quite critical on these, but if I recall
correctly, it is a cable the size of RG58. It probably is RG58, but
check with the manufacturer of the connector, not what some dumb
reseller tells you, or what some ham on a reflector tells you.

As for part numbers, again check the manufactuers catalogs - they should
be online.