Re: [Amps] Effects of load Z mismatch?

To: Jim Kearman <jkearman@att.net>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Effects of load Z mismatch?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:43:01 +0000
Jim Kearman wrote:
> I'm aware that properly matching the tube to the pi network results in best
> efficiency and, presumably, less distortion. But to what extent?

There is the "maximum power transfer theorem" which you can google on.
For a DC circuit, it is easy to show the load impedance must be the same
as the source impedance. See for example

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_10/11.html

Computing the loss of power when the source and load are not matched
would be easy from that.  Not sure if that is the right approach, but it
so analysitcally it would be easy do.

For AC, the problem becomes a lot more complex (excuse any pun).

dave