Re: [Amps] Tuned Input

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tuned Input
From: w6ah@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:33:27 +0000
Right you are Karl Arne.

Using any type of coax between the output side of the network and the tube
cathode is an open invitation for trouble. At harmonic frequencies that piece
of coax can look like a quarter wave matching network ! Depending on the
frequency and length of coax involved.

In amplifier design component placement is the name of the game and the input
network is no exception. Mount that network as close to the cathode as possible
and use a piece of copper strap or heavy coax (RG213) outer conducter braid to
attach the two mindful to keep the lead length short.

I went to school with a ham that later became a design engineer for RL Drake.
Among his responsibilities was the design of the L75 Amp. I had a conversation
with him 6 years ago and he spoke of some of the obstacles he had to overcome.
One was the problem of Low Output and poor efficiency on 10 meters. A work
around that he found was to remove the output cap on the input network
bandswitch and attach it directly to the tube cathode. What that accomplished
was to add the stray inductance of the connection lead to the input inductor.
Then it became a simple matter to reduce the inductor size for proper
operation. On the lower bands the output capacitors on the switch were removed
and reduced values installed to reflect a total network capacitance of the two
combined to reflect the proper value. The only drawback to this scheme is the
stray inductance then becomes a second inductor forming a "Double Pi" on the
lower bands. But he found that even on 15 meters the stray inductance
  was low enough to have minimal effect. In effect what this approach did was
to transfer the problem to a frequency where it was much more managable to deal
with.

73s

Bob W6AH

From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>