[Amps] Pspice models for power grid tubes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Pspice models for power grid tubes
From: Xmitters@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:28:09 EST
In a message dated 1/26/06 10:13:31 AM Central Standard Time, r@somis.org
writes:

<< The curves for 500v may be converted to other voltages by applying the
 3/2 power law.

The 3/2 power law is only applicable over a fairly narrow range. This
approach is especially problematic when the control grid voltage is positive at
the
published screen voltage and it goes negative at the desired screen voltage.
You also run into problems when calculating where the zero plate current line
is
going to be with the desired screen voltage compared to the published screen
voltage. This comes about when you ratio out the desired versus published
screen voltage. To scale the grid voltage axis, you then multiply the published
control grid voltages by this scale factor. Well, this approach does not work
when you have to relocate the zero control grid voltage point at the new screen
voltage. Zero times anything is zero.

I verified this by examining several tubes that have curves for more than one
screen voltage. I chose an observation point (plate voltage and plate
current) on one curve, then noted the grid voltage for that point. I found the
same
observation point on the other set of curves. I then applied the 3/2 power law.
In some cases it was close, in other cases it was off by a mile. Especially
in the case where the grid voltage for that observation point stats out mapped
with a positive grid voltage, and then goes negative at the higher screen
voltage.

For relatively small deviations in screen voltage from published to desired,
the 3/2 law works quite well.

Jeff Glass, BSEE CSRE
Northern Illinois University
WB9ETG Since 1970