Re: [Amps] Glass envelope

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass envelope
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps080605@w4zt.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:55:00 -0500
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

>>> Nothing?
>>>
>>> Tubes are typically pumped down to about 1E-8mmHg, which means that the
>>> "vacuum" space of an amateur-sized transmitting tube will contain well
>>> over a million free gas molecules.
>>       Well, I ignored that and simplified things also; then, after
>> "vacuum
>> process",  and to "kill" those over a million molecules tube's
>> manufacturer use the getter method?.
>>

> I don't have any specific information (so this message is also being
> blind-copied to a couple of people who might know better) but my
> impression is that the getter in transmitting tubes is mostly intended
> to *maintain* the quality of the vacuum, not to improve it.
>
> That wouldn't be true of small glass tubes that use a barium getter  -
> the silvery-looking film that has been evaporated onto the surface of
> the glass. In those tubes the getter film is not created until *after*
> the tube has been pumped and sealed. In that case there would be a big
> improvement in the vacuum when the film is thrown onto the glass (it's a
> standard cleanup technique in high-vacuum lab work). But that is all
> part of the manufacturing process; afterwards, the getter would tend to
> *maintain* the vacuum in its post-manufactured state.
>
> Transmitting tubes are different because the getter is already in place
> when the tubes are being pumped down, flash-heated way above the
> operating temperature to remove as much gas as possible, pumped some
> more and finally sealed. In that case, the getter surface would be
> pretty close to a chemical equilibrium with the residual gas pressure
> *before* the tube is sealed, so afterwards it would tend to *maintain*
> that condition.
>
> We're also aware from a few weeks ago that the getters used in
> transmitting tubes need to be hot in order to work at optimum
> effectiveness, so the vacuum can deteriorate when the tube is left cold
> for long periods.
>
> However, the basic principle is that electron tubes are quite happy to
> share the space with quite large numbers of gas molecules. That is
> because the electron current is usually much larger than the small
> reverse ion current... but if it isn't, things can go badly wrong.

So the question that remains for me is: What kind of gas molecules
remain?  Surely they are not an easily ionized gas like helium, neon or
argon. Surely not oxygen (big no no); nitrogen? I would think that the
atmosphere used in the manufacturing process just prior to evacuation
would be kept as free of the big four as possible so that any remaining
molecules wouldn't be one of them. Does the "getter" material only
collect oxygen molecules or does it collect others as well? Does anyone
have more information on this?

Thanks and 73, Tony W4ZT