RE: [Amps] [BULK] - ?DIN stands for....?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] [BULK] - ?DIN stands for....?
From: "Sean Williams" <m1ecy@m1ecy.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:43:01 -0000
On 27/02/2006 18:48:04, John Wagner (jwagner@dxengineering.com) wrote:
> > I haven't had problems with DIN plugs. But then, I don't buy
> > the cheap ones with thermoplastic insulation. You
> don't
> > always get what you pay for, but you very rarely get
> > something useful which you don't
> pay for. What I would like
> > to find would be a  reasonably priced waterproof connector
> > for outside use with at least 16 ways. They all seem to be
> > rather expensive types aimed at the military/aerospace market.
> >
> > 73
> > Peter G3RZP
>

> I wonder if the automotive Deutsch type connectors (or GM
> Weatherpak)would
> suitable. They are available from
> Automotive performance catalogs, etc. It may be a bit harder to find them
> with 16 pins, although they
> Are available, just not as common. 8 pin is fairly common.
>
> 73
> John W8JJW

I had to comment!

I spend most of my working hours dealing with "waterproof automotive
connectors" hah, they are awful!, and certainly not waterproof!

They also have peculiar problems once a poor connection occurs - they melt!

Nope, sorry, Mil Spec is really the only way forward - Pay Peanuts...........

Long live Cannon and Plessey connectors!

Sean
RAC Motoring Services Patrolman (Breakdown Guy for those over the pond!)

M1ECY