Re: [Amps] Vegetable oil dummy load

To: "Larry Carman" <lncarman@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vegetable oil dummy load
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 03:10:03 -0800

On Feb 28, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Larry Carman wrote:

According to Vectronics, motor oil does not have a sufficiently high vaporizing temperature and will cause excessive vapor.

I found the following quote on eHam:
Motor oil is not recommended (at least not for long term use,) as the
volatility and flash point is often lower than mineral oil, and the
additives will corrode the structure of the resistor used in the dummy load.
(ARRL Handbook, 1988, CHapter 34, page 22-23.)

I was once told that there was a brand of motor oil without additives that
Worked very well in dummy loads. I have no idea what brand it was.

I have been using 5w Mobil-1 synthetic in a 500w Bird 50Ω termination for the past 25 years. If I had it to do again, I would use 0w oil to increase convection.

Regards, Larry N5BIP