Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 voltage sag

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 voltage sag
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 11:23:26 -0500
Tomms right. There's not enough iron in a 60 Hz transformer to be ran on 50 Hz,
and the number of turns is different also. From experience, I've found good
regulation to be about 12% to 13%, or in other words, a 12-13% sag in the
voltage under load. Heathkit was almost 15% but they designed their
transformers to be right on the edge, and to be as light as possible. All they
do to make an amp work on both 50 and 60 Hz is to install a 50 Hz transformer.
A 50 Hz transformer will work on 60 Hz (and run cooler), where a 60 Hz will not
run on 50 Hz. A 2500 Vdc supply under load will run about 2,212 Vdc at about
13%. That's a 288 volt drop. At 12%, 2500 Vdc would drop to 2232 Vdc with a
drop of 268 Vdc. 9-10% is almost never seen unless it's an oversized
transformer built for 100% + duty cycle (IE Military, etc. or running a 50Hz
transformer on 60 Hz). 350 Vdc sag though is way too much and is about 16% at
2500 Vdc OCV. It will work, but I don't know how hot it will run on a long ke
 ydown. My guess is, pretty damn hot as the amount of iron, and wire size is
what determines a transformers temperature.

Best,

Will