Re: [Amps] Oscilloscopes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oscilloscopes
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:22:03 -0500
Bill,

Same here. I repaired a few tube sets in the tail end of them around 1980 while
a few was still left, and know the sets your talking about. I never did change
one out of a TV, nor even test one. The only ones I have tested and changed was
in the old Browning Labs Eagle CB radios. They used two in them, I forget for
what, most likely the receiver portion. Those two was all I remember ever
changing. There still available at some larger tube dealers, and if I recall
there wasn't too many different ones of these made. Now those little glass
tuner tubes, I changed out several of them. Those were the minature 7 & 9 pins,
etc. A bad tuner was a quick check if you had a tuner suber (still have mine).
Just unplug the coax from the IF strip, and plug the suber in. If you had a
picture after, the tuner was bad, or power supply feeding it. I actually had
two, and loaned one to customers so they could watch their TV while I ordered a
rebuilt tuner. Just set it on top of their set so they
 could change the channels. Used to get rebuilt tuners from Gem City Tuner
Service here in Ohio. Turn the old tuner in as a dud for credit like a picture
tube or a module. Those were the good old days and before throw-away TV sets.

I went and looked at a Tek 454 on ebay, and it does have the calibration jack
on the side the same as the 453. They look identical almost. One other slight
drawback is the CRT size which is about 3" x 4" I would guess.

Best,

Will