Re: [Amps] ARRL Handbook Amp

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>,"Peter Zilliox" <zilassoc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ARRL Handbook Amp
From: "Bob Maser" <bmaser@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:29:10 -0500
The 4K-U is still a crank and crank amp but now when I crank C1, all that
adjusts is C1 and the Pi and L roller inductors.  My 4K-U was really dirty
with lots of cigarette stains and smell.  I took it almost completely apart
in order to do a good deodorizing job and I was having problems
synchronizing all the adjusting parts.  With the LDG tuner installed it
cranks a lot easier and the SWR is always acceptable.  Down the road I bet
that I'll be able to recoup the $125 cost of the tuner by selling off the
triple caps and the input roller inductor and 4:1 balun assys.  My future
plans call for replacing the 8877 with a 3CX1500D7 to allow instant on
operation and a tougher grid.

Bob