[Amps] MW Oven Transformer question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] MW Oven Transformer question
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:41:27 EST
Can someone explain what the shunts in these transformers are about? I  can
see what looks like a stack of four thin strips of metal placed below the
secondary winding through the two core openings.

I assume these make up two shunts. The purpose is not intuitive to me so
hopefully there is a good explanation about how they work.

I have removed the 2100vac secondary winding and replaced it with eight
turns of thick insulation teflon covered wire to make up a 6.3vac filament
winding. This winding needs to withstand about 10kv in the twt amplifier it
will  be
used in. With no load connected to the winding it measures 6.84vac so a
primary resistance will be added to trim the filament voltage.

In checking the primary current, I see 4A flowing with no load. This was a
surprise and I wonder if this is a result of the shunts?

This current is measured with a Radio Shack DVM set to AC amps and may be
indicating other than RMS current. There is a noticeable spark when the AC is
disconnected so apparently there is a bit of current flowing.

Any info about this is appreciated.

73,
Gerald K5GW