Re: [Amps] Gonset GSB-201 Mods

To: KA9S - 2 <ka9s2@comcast.net>, Jim Tonne <tonne@comcast.net>,AMPs <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Gonset GSB-201 Mods
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:28:52 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
You still need a bleeder resistor to avoid premature aging.

I have seen the carcasses of 2 GSB-201.  Both had suffered violence of some
sort and been partly dismembered prior to viewing.  I was not able to perform
an autopsy.

The original amp used 4 x 811A tubes.  But, then some marketing guru realized
they could put 572 tubes in place of 811A tubes and call it good for 2 KW.
But, remember, Gonset was not known for building "built for stout, brick on the
key" amplifiers.  In fact, they soon went out of business.

It has been a long time since I played with one, but I would assume that each
component is not rated for 2 KW, then evaluate yourself how much you wish to
push the safety envelope.  Removing the choke will reduce the power rating of
the transformer even further.

The components were not designed for the higher voltage and not designed for
the higher power.  Gonset pulled the envelope down - using the least expensive
component that would work.  Why would they use a plate capacitor higher than
the rated plate voltage?

As I get older, I get more conservative.  I might take an amp rated for 1500
watts and run it at 1200 watts.  I would not take an amp originally rated at
1,000 watts and run it at 2,000 watts, but maybe I have simply gotten more
conservative after flying helicopters, where a part failure might mean
emergency landing, a lot of expenses or worse.

But, with an amplifier, the worse thing that can happen is a flash of light, a
kapow, then usually silence.  Hey, that is not that bad, go for it.

Colin  K7FM