[Amps] Doorknob caps in LK-500ZC

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Doorknob caps in LK-500ZC
From: Scott Manthe <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:43:39 -0600
Hi ampphiles,
I've got an Amp International LK-500ZC which I'd considered selling, but
have decided to hang onto. I want to replace the disc capacitors in the
tank circuit with doorknobs but am not really sure what values to look
at. According to my schematic, there is a 5kV, 1400pF cap on the 160m
bandswitch position, 940pF on the 80m position and 470pF on the 40m
position. Looking at the actual circuit, I'm not sure those are the
values actually in place. Is there anyone on the list who has upgraded
these components and can point me in the right direction? I am not an
engineer, nor even terribly technically competent, so  please go easy on
me with your responses.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer. Editorial comments about the
relative quality of my amp compared to those made by Alpha, Acom, QRO,
etc., etc., will not be appreciated, so save them for some other time.

Thanks in advance and 73,
Scott, N9AA