[Amps] Solid Fiberglass rods for building plate choke.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid Fiberglass rods for building plate choke.
From: "Nat Gurumoorthy" <ngurumoorthy@ubicom.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:09:29 -0800
Hi,
        I am embarking on building a modest 500W amp for 40M - 10M
bands. I have been a busy scavenger trying to acquire the various parts.
I got a 500-0-500 plate transformer 400ma. I got hold of a 4-400a tube.
Don't know how good it is. I know a souce to get hold of 4-125a tubes. I
will use a voltage doubler to get to about 2.3KV on the plate. I will
probably build a grounded grid amp. I have lots of 0.5" sold black
fiberglass rods (leftover material from my homebrew Quad antenna). I was
wondering it I could wind the Plate choke on that. How safe will it be?.
I was also wondering if I could use short lengths of the same rod
material as standoffs for items that have to be isolated from the
chasis.

Regards
Nat