Re: [Amps] New vacuum relays

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New vacuum relays
From: R@contesting.com;Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 18:23:12 -0700
On Apr 7, 2006, at 8:16 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:

> This info may or may not apply to the relays Rich is offering.
> Hopefully he can make comment since he can measure the breakdown
> voltage for his relays. The contact voltage is what we usually worry
> about but the breakdown between the contacts and mounting flange as
> well as to the coil are also important.

At 1600w PEP, there is about 400v-pk from the contacts to ground.  At
9000VDC, from the flange to the contacts, the new Kilovac/Gigavac
relays measure 0uA of leakage.
> ?
> I have been waiting for someone to mention vacuum relay breakdown
> voltage. I recently learned that some of these vacuum relays are not
> designed for hot switching and some are. The ones designed for hot
> switching are characterized as "ground isolated" in a Jennings
> catalog.

As I recall, hot-switch rated relays have tungsten contacts while
RF-rated ones have copper contacts and are speced: no hot switching.
> ?
> Hot switching in this case means the relay contacts are above ground
> by several kv and are used to disconnect a load from a hv power supply
> while current is still flowing.

Hot switching can occur on a grounded contact as easily as on a
floating contact.
> ?
> I learned the hard way that you can get a big flashover from the relay
> contacts to the mounting flange and/or to the relay coil if you have
> the wrong type relay in this kind of application.
> ?
> You might ask: why would you want to switch while current is flowing?
> I am working with some microwave traveling wave tubes that operate
> essentially class A and current flows with or with rf being present.
> Even at hf class B or AB, there would be some current flow while
> switching but fortunately the voltage is not high enough to cause a
> problem. In my case, I was trying to switch about 5kv when the
> flashover happened. A Jennings RJ1 and a Kilovac HC2 had this problem
> in my case.
> ?
> The Jennings catalog did not indicate the RJ1 to be a ground isolated
> design and I have no data on the Kilovac unit.

The Jennings RJ-1A is ground isolated.