Re: [Amps] RCA load impedance calculation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RCA load impedance calculation
From: Xmitters@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:48:02 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/06 6:29:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
amps-request@contesting.com writes:

<< Gerald,

 I went ahead and brought the RCA transmitting tube manual TT-5 here to quote
what it says.

 Effective RF load resistance;

 2 x (Eb - Ebmin) / Ibo

 Ibo = Zero signal plate current

 "Ibo should be between 1/6 and 1/10 of Ibmax found on the typical plate
characteristics graph".

 "Determine peak plate current (Ibmax) for zero bias (Ec1 = 0) at or slightly
below the knee of the zero-bias curve for the value of Ec2".

Hello:

I'm looking at my copy of the RCA Transmitting Tubes book, TT-5 page 53
equation 15.

RF Load impedance is = 2 * ( Eb- ebmin)/ Ibmax   (Ibmax not Ibo )

Maybe there is a mis-print in your book. It is also hard to read. So using my
example numbers in my original post for a class B:

Rload = 2 * (3000-300)/1 = 5400 Ohms

Ibo is the idling plate current with no signal, and I don't see how that
would be an appropriate parameter for calculating the required load resistance
the
tube wants to see.

Jeff Glass