Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AM Downward Modulation
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:48:45 -0700 (PDT)
Yep -- my 950SDX is no different.  If you just use the power adjusment, it
actually lowers the entire power envelope and you gain nothing.  The key is
having the 100W (150W, in my case) PEP headroom while keeping the carrier
reduced to a level that allows it to be fully modulated without exceeding final
amp's headroom.  Low-level AM is a whole different ani-mule than real plate
modulation!!  I've never messed with screen or series modulation, though.

  And then, driving an amp with AM is a whole 'nother can of worms, too.  You
MUST tune it with the highest PEP level you have from the rig.  If you tune it
just with your unmodulated AM carrier, it'll be mis-tuned and you'll splatter
like crazy.  Easiest way with a solid-state, low-level rig is to use fast CW
pulses at max output (just like what you would do for SSB), then adjust the
rig's AM carrier for the desired level (20-25W max for a 100W rig).

  Joe, N3JI