Re: [Amps] Astron RS20A primary resistance

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Astron RS20A primary resistance
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 16:46:04 -0400
Right,

Where the current is 1/2 what it is on 120 Vac, they would use a smaller wire
size and the resistance will be higher. If they used the same wire size, then
you could multiply by 2, but they don't. The wire size is selected by the least
size you can use for the duty cycle and current of the winding.

It sounds to me like Astron has figured a way to make more money. If you want
to change line voltage, you either have to buy a new power supply or a new
transformer! It's not hard, nor does it cost that much more to make a dual
voltage transformer. All that is required is breaking the primary in half and
bringing out the two wire ends for series/paralell connection.

Best,

Will