Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage

To: "rob" <VE6TR@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@wwnw.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:25:01 -0700
Rob, I can't believe you have not received an answer to your questions.
Maybe you have, bypassing the reflector. I keep a word document on info re
transmitting tubes. It has excerpts from postings which I am interested in.
Here is a quote from it.

" With a thoriated-tungsten cathode, there is virtually no increase in
output if the filament potential is increased above what is needed to
secure maximal PEP.  The technique for adjusting filament potential is
exceedingly simple -- i.e., decrease fil. potential until PEP barely
drops.  Increase fil. potential by 2%.    By using this technique, up to
20k-hours of operation can be had between recarburizations."

  I have seen similar info many places on the internet. It is widely
accepted that the life of direct heated tubes decreases rapidly as filament
voltage is increased and the above quoted technique is the way to go.
73, Dan, N5AR