Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage

To: rob <VE6TR@telus.net>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-1000Z - Filament Voltage
From: w6ah@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:23:20 +0000
Hi Rob

From: "rob" <VE6TR@telus.net>

> Greetings,
>
> I have a Harris RF-104 with a 3-1000Z tube. I have several questions
> regarding
> the filament voltage.
>
> The Eimac spec. sheet that I have lists the filament voltage as a nominal
> value
> of 7.5 volts with no min or max values
> shown (unlike the 3-500Z spec. sheet which has min/max values). The Harris
> RF-104 that houses and powers the
> tube has a spec. of 7.8 volts. As I've had to adjust the filament transformer
> taps to achieve 7.8 volts (due to different
> line voltage here), I was wondering if:
>
> 1. There a preferred voltage to run the filament at?
The tube is rated for 7.5 volts. 7.8 volts will dramatically shorten the life
of the tube. The only reason for running it that voltage is if the tube is
proven to be soft and near the end of it's service life.

> 2. There a loss of tube life running the filament voltage too low or high?
Loss of tube life is dramatic if run at voltages even slightly above its
specified rating. The first effect noticed if the tube is running below it's
rated voltage is lack of emission resulting in decreased plate current. Output
distortion increases soon there after. It's very easy to shorten the life of a
tube by running the heater with a few extra tenths to give it some "extra
umph". Nothing could be further from the truth. Extra emission beyond what is
needed to do the job is pure waste.

> 3. There a practical tolerance for the filament voltage?
That depends on the size of the bank roll in your pocket. There is a way of
determining the optimum voltage to run any Thoriated Cathode Tube. The
procedure is outlined in Eimac's Application Bulletin 18 and can be found at
http://www.cpii.com/eimac/PDF/AB18.pdf  Though initially tedious this prcatice
is SOP in the Broadcast Industry. Quite a few reduce the advance margin from 5
% to 2.5 %.

73s andEnjoy
Bob W6AH