Re: [Amps] Amps and ROHS

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps and ROHS
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 12:15:18 +0100

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

> The "lead-free" regulations will only apply to new production that is
> placed on the market AFTER the cutoff date. That term "placed  on the
> market" has a very specific legal meaning - roughly speaking, it only
> applies to commercial product lines.
>
> For example, if a company has a product line that is continuing past the
> cutoff date, all production that will be sold to an end user in the
> European Union after the cutoff date must comply.
>
> Imports of non-compliant products from outside the EU are also covered.
> However, the whole world is changing over to "unleaded" construction
> over the next few years, so my guess is that they won't be chasing
> individual private imports until after it doesn't matter.
>
> The regulation specifically does not apply to future re-sales of
> second-hand or vintage products, wherever they come from, because those
> had already been placed on the market BEFORE the cutoff date.

Isn't the regulation is specific about being 'placed on the market'
**within the EU**? My advice is that anything placed on the market
outside the EU doesn't have exemption regardless of age.

> It also does not apply to future private sales of individual pieces of
> home-made equipment, because that doesn't count as being "placed on the
> market" as a product line. (However, if someone was making repeat sales
> of the same product, that would eventually appear on the radar.)
>
> I am not sure how the regulations apply to special one-off or short-run
> products of the kind that Steve's company makes...

It applies with full force to every prototype and one-off. My carefully
nurtured 'lifetime buy' obsolete components become trash. I'm close to
giving up.

Steve