Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K

To: lncarman@swbell.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] RE : who needs it? Henry 8K
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:59:08 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2006 1:41:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lncarman@swbell.net writes:

By the  way, I have an
amp with a tube that has handles. It's parked in the corner  of the garage.
The fun of it was in the design and the building of the amp  and not the
running of excessive power.

I can relate to this comment.  I was DARED by a couple of local hams  who had
Ameritron AL-1500's  (These amps will do 2250-2300 watts output  with 100
watts drive no problem.) to beat that kind of power output.  They  dared me to
come up with an amp that will tilt the bird watt meter with a 5KW  slug further
than their Ameritrons.  I took the dare and homebrewed a PAIR  of 8877's.
Paid Peter Dahl $550.00 for a plate transformer and went to  work on the RF
deck
and power supply.  The resulting HB amplifier pinned  the Bird with a 5KW slug
HARD to the right hand side.  After that the amp  was disassembled.  All
testing was done into a 2500 watt Bird dummy load  with additional fan cooling.

It was a fun project and those guys do not  dare me to do anything anymore.
They awarded me the "golden brick award"  which I still have.  73 Louie