Re: [Amps] Historical question-probably OT

To: <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Historical question-probably OT
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:44:37 +0200
I have to admit that I have run a pair of 4CX250B's in AB2 on 144 MHz during my
SK6AB days... (late 70's)

Hopefully the limitation time for these "crimes" has long passed.

Some inspiration for the class AB2 operation came from certain articles in
UKW-Berichte by DK1OF.

The DK1OF PA design for 144 MHz quotes the following operating data for class
AB2 (one 4CX250R)

No load Ua       2200 V
Ug2                     380 V
Idling Ia               100 mA
Single-tone Ia       420 mA
Drive power            8 W
Ig2                        20 mA
Ig1                          5 mA
Power out            520 W
(all single tone)

It can be gathered that the amplifier was operated well into
peak limitation, as the drive power was doubled (+3 dB) but the output
only increased by 1.3 dB when going from class AB1 to AB2.

For some reason the linearity was not measured...

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM