[Amps] Lets Talk About Padder Caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Lets Talk About Padder Caps
From: "W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 13:47:13 -0700
I'm trying to replace the tune and load padder caps in my home-brew
3CX800 amplifier. (Ten-Tec Titan clone).

I need about 300 PF for the tune cap and about 1000 PF for the load.
These are used on 80 and 160 meters.
I have a drifting problem on these bands. Mostly on 160 though.

How much current is flowing through these on 160 meters?

I'm looking at the HEC site at:
http://www.highenergycorp.com/ceramic/rftransmit.html for a suitable
unit.

I have searched the archives but no practical solutions. Just talk about
poor designs and other non descriptive stuff.
The Alpha 89 uses strings of high voltage disk caps. (5ea 75 PF 6KV for
tune padder and 7ea 150 Pf 8KV for loading).
I don't remember if the 89 has drifting issues on 160 meters. Lots of
small value disks are cheaper than large doorknobs.
I'm sure this is why Alpha and others use them.

Ideas?

Thanks and 73
Jim W7RY