Re: [Amps] emtron dx-1??? for a couple hundred bucks?

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] emtron dx-1??? for a couple hundred bucks?
From: Scott Manthe <n9aa@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:42:24 -0500
In the last 3 years, which encompasses about 10 hamfests attended,
including two Hamventions, I've seen a total of 6 things I would
consider buying and I actually bought three of them. The rest was either
junk or too overpriced to even consider.

The Internet has changed the world and our hobby is no exception. Using
the Internet, I just bought a 6 month old Mark V Field in almost perfect
condition with a FH-1 remote for about $1450.00, which is high, but I
wanted a Field and this one is in the SN range I desired. If I had to
rely on my local hamfests or swapnets, I would have had to settle for a
TS-570 or ten year old MP and I would've overpaid for the 570. If I
wanted to buy an amp, I'd have had to buy a homebrew amp with 813s in it
or pay $1900 for a beat up AL-1200 with a questionable tube. Once, I did
see a nice Alpha 91B for $2000, but this was the best amp I have ever
seen at any hamfest within 300 miles of my house.

The halcyon days of yore you long for never existed. Some hams have
always screwed other hams and took advantage of guys who weren't as
experienced. These guys still exist and some of them do business on
eBay. But eBay is no different than society at large- there are people
out there to avoid and it's good to have the skills to figure out who
they are.

73,
Scott, N9AA