Re: [Amps] 3cx1500d7 amp 2006 handbook

To: lists@w1nr.net, foxrun@velocity.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3cx1500d7 amp 2006 handbook
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:46:26 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/2006 12:12:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
lists@w1nr.net writes:

I have  considered using this tube to retrofit into a Henry 2K.  My biggest
problem is that the tube is only available direct from Eimac and they  don't
"stock" them  They seem to wait until they have enough orders  to justify a
production run and then fill the orders.

Mike,  W1NR
> Hi All,
>
> I would be interested in talking to those  that have (or are planning to)
> build the HF amp highlighted in the  2006 handbook.
>
> 73, Scott W3TX

Hi Guys,  I have not worked with the 3CX1500D7 yet, but I have  experience
with 8877's (3CX1500A7) and the 3CX1200A7.  I was led to believe  that the
1500D7 was like a 1200D7 with extra plate dissipation. I have  found that with
the
same amount of drive, plate voltage, using the same  type of amp (ie AL-1200
vs AL-1500) the maximum output varies quite a  bit.  For 100 watts drive the
1200A7 tube makes a maximum of `1800Watts and  the 8877 makes 2200 watts.  If I
was doing any type of conversion (I have  done many) I would opt for an 8877
over the 1200A7 or D7.  If the new  3CX1500D7 is like the 8877 but only more
rugged like the 1200D7, it would be  more desirable than the 8877.  But I think
the design of the 8877 and  its drawbacks may not be revised by the 1500D7
with the same results.   If it is, it will be my new tube of choice.  When the
GS-35B became  popular and was called the poor mans 8877 I grabbed one and
built
an amp around  it. 4KV on the plate and 100 watts of drive.........My best
output was  consistently 1600 watts.  I was disappointed, but for the price of
the  tube, it beats a pair of 3-500's and they are rock stable.  It will be
interesting to see the results of the homebrew amps using the 3CX1500D7 and the

data on it.  Anyone using this tube yet?

Back to the GS-35B....If you have about 130-140 watts of drive available I
am sure it will do 2KW, but I use 100 watts as a standard of comparison.

73 louie