Re: [Amps] glass tape scotch 27

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] glass tape scotch 27
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:32:03 -0400
It's not just the temperature, but the physical endurance and the electrical
properties as well.  Remember that this stuff will be exposed to high RF and
magnetic fields.  I once had the base of an RF choke in a 4-1000 amplifier
expoxied to a ceramic standoff insulator.  Once night during a contest, the
epoxy exploded and coated the inside of the amp with hot yellow goo (the amp
continued to run!).  So, we know through the experience of many who have
made these types of coils that Scotch 27 glass tape works as intended.
Substituting something else could cause problems like melting, a fire or
small explosion!  And YES, balun coils do get quite hot when running into
high power, high SWR like the output of a tuner.

Mike, W1NR