Re: [Amps] Serious transformer problem

To: "Borislav Trifonov" <bdt@shaw.ca>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Serious transformer problem
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:43:56 -0400
Borislav,

I know you've answered some of the following questions below, but I'm adding
all I can think of to help. Does both transformers have the same amount of iron
in them? Is the laminations the same size? Are the laminations the same
thickness? Are you sure both have the same number of turns in the secondary? Is
the iron type different between the two possibly (this really shouldn't make a
huge difference in the inductance though unless one has something added in the
iron which impedes the magnetic flux adding more reluctance).? Transformer iron
doesn't vary as much as does ferrite, or iron powder where you have different
AL factors unless it may be something like Permedure, etc. Could one core be
partially magnetized? If the shield were shorted of course you would have a low
voltage, high current short for what ever one turn equals out to in voltage by
using the turns per volt figure. When you applied current to the primary, you
would sure know it as it would be a big hum and sho
 uld blow a fuse, etc. I would definately double check this! Any short
generally acts this way.

What controls the inductance is the number of turns and the amount of iron in
the core in square centimeters or square inches. A different core material
could possibly cause it if one type impeded the flux more than another (greater
reluctance). A gap will effect it some more because of flux impedance
(reluctance), but really it's used to keep a choke from saturating at high
current levels, or where you have DC mixed with AC, not for transformers. If
ones gaps a transformer, it needs to be a very thin gap like 0.002" or even
thinner as in a C-core type. These are actually ground and lapped so they fit
really close. Check all this over, and let me know what you find. I'll do my
best to help.

Best,

Will