Re: [Amps] Filament life

To: r@somis.org, rob@sherweng.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Filament life
From: "S. J. Blackwell" <w5lu@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:24:56 -0500
Rich,
I have seen your comments about Alpha and the use of the ceramic disc
padders in the output tank for some years now. Would the burr under your
saddle be relieved if these were multiple HV ,relatively low pF, NPO caps in
parallel? If not, why not? I am using 16 ea 50pF, 4KV, NPO padders on the
160 load cap of my 8877 amp. It seems to work quite well. I am not worried
at all, even after seeing your comments for some years now. Oh yes, my Alpha
89 still seems to be working quite well (with original tubes), even after
many years.

Your comment about the carbon resistors seems approiate, however the entire
comment seemed rather graturitous as the subject was about turning the the
amps on and off and concerns about filament life. By the way, just to keep
on topic, the Alpha has a low value resistance in series with the filament
that would limit the initial cold current to some extent. Oh yes, I am aware
of surge, no surge thoughts re indirecly heated cathodes.
73,
Sam W5LU