Re: [Amps] Life and gain of 3-500Z

To: k7rdx <k7rdx@charter.net>, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>,Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Life and gain of 3-500Z
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
I noticed the same thing on my amps.  The RF Parts 3-500ZGs had more output in
both my TL-922 and the Henry.  The first set of Eimacs (that were in the
TL-922) had bad plate welds that eventually shorted the Anode directly to the
Grids melting the Grid choke.  Replaced them with more C and carbon grid-fuse R
(per Rich's mods) and all was happy again (after installing the RFP tubes, of
course).  When I got the Henry, it came with Eimacs that also had less output.
The RFP tubes are now several years old, and still do full output (~2.5kW) in
the Henry after many longwinded legal-limit AM transmissions (measured in hours
of total on-air time), several contests, etc.  I was tempted to buy another set
of these to have as spares, but they have proven so reliable, I never have.
Maybe when they start to look "tired", I'll pull the trigger...

Joe, N3JI