Re: [Amps] grid fuses.... the real story.

To: Jim Thomson <Jim.Thomson@TELUS.COM>,Amps Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid fuses.... the real story.
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:31:54 -0700
On Jul 19, 2006, at 5:16 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ####  see my  comments  below.... Jim   VE7RF
>
> "I usually stay out of this sort of discussion and am sure that I
> will regret these comments. I may even get kicked off the list (at
> least threatened),

Jim -- If getting jackbooted  off AMPS  turns out to be your fate,
please e-mail your comments direct to me and the rest of the folks in
this thread and we will continue this debate for as long as it takes.
> but, statements/questions like "Why would you fuse a grid?" make my
> hair stand on end. Obviously, the gentlemen who asked this question
> dose not repair amps.

... OR PAY FOR THE PARTS TO REPAIR THEM!
> This is just about as bad/uninformed as the gentlemen who
> advertised for the original anode parasitic suppressors for the
> TL-922 with the idea of replacing modern, Lo Q nichrome
> suppressors, with the original "parasitic supporters" that came in
> the amp. I guess many of us are as blind and closed minded about
> amplifier theory as we are about politics.
Excellent comparison, but dangerously OFF TOPIC.
> We may have to pay $3.00 ++ for gasoline, after all, we did elect
> (or did we) an oil man to the White House,

Chortle.  We elected TWO of them, and I for damn sure wouldn't go
quail hunting with one of them.
> but why pay $200 ++ for a 3-500Z when a 6 cent, 1/4 watt resistor,
> can/will save them from certain demise from several very common
> faults?   "
>
> ###  The original,  STOCK  parasitic  suppressor in the TL-922
> works just fine ... ROCK STABLE.....  PROVIDED  you  remove  the  6
> x  200  pf caps  and  2 x RF chokes  on both tube
> sockets.   ............ and then  install  3   x  wide  copper
> straps...  one per  grid pin  to chassis..... per socket.

Sounds plausible until one takes a dipmeter in hand and finds out
that there is minimal change in grid resonance between using 200pF
caps and using Cu straps.  In fact, the bad news is that the grid
resonates about 1MHz Higher with caps instead of straps although the
purpose of the straps was to increase the grid resonance freq. and
improve stability.
--  Editorial --- As I see it, two of the most chortlesome beliefs in
Amateur Radio are:  that a wide Cu strap has zero inductance, and
that there is such an animal as a non-inductive R.

> ###  The drake  L4B.... TL-922... SB-220  SB-221 +  several Henry
> amps all used the identical  6 x caps  +  2 x choke nonsense.  It
> was supposed to be
>
> a  " NFB"  circuit  using a V divider.....  consisting  of  grid
> to  cathode  C  in one leg..... and   those  silly  200 pf caps
> making up the  2nd leg.      IT  doesn't  work... never did.

Good point, but since it was the idea of a beloved Amateur Radio
publisher who's now a SK, telling the truth that it never worked is
sure to be about as welcome as a dozen squealing piglets in a Mosque
during Friday prayers.

> ###  everyone who has  directly  grounded the grids in the  above
> 2 x 3-500Z  amps  all report  rock stable  operation.....  with
> the  stock  suppressors... esp the TL-922  owners.      In
> addition..... the fellows with the SB-220/221's  report their  TVI
> problems  (satellite  TV) in neighbours sets  vanished  after
> doing the  direct  grid  grounding mods.

Excellent chortles, but you forgot to mention that bread rises faster
in the kitchen after direct grounding.

> ###  also....  directly  grounding the grids  results  in an actual
> measured  REDUCTION  of drive  power  by  20-25 watts !!  You will
> measure that in all the above listed amps.... after the  mod !
> In addition....     xcvr's like the  Kenwood 870  etc, all
> experience  a huge redux in TX imd  when output of xcvr is reduced
> from  100-85-50 watts.     Less  drive into a linear  means the
> xcvr is  running cleaner to start with !
guffaw

> ### The measured  TX IMD  of the modified  3-500Z  linears  alone...
> ( listed above)... IMPROVES.... after the mod.    The  original
> "NFB" never worked.... in fact.... it made it WORSE !!
>
> ### Re grid fuses.     On rinky  dink  tubes like
> 3CX-800A7's.....complete  with 4 watt  floozy grids......
> electronic  protection IS required.

The trouble with electronic grid protection that I've seen is that
the small transistor that is commonly used to interrupt the flow of
grid current C-E shorts due to the large grid current that flows
during a VHF parasitic -- thereby providing zero protection during a
parasitic oscillation.  For example, according  to it's
characteristic curves, the cathode of an 8877 can produce 50A-peaks
24/7, and my guess is that it can do>60A-peak during a parasitic
event.  Thus, the right size transistor for grid-protection duty is
probably Not one with a 2A rating.

> ###  On  3-500Z's.... 3CX-1200A7's...  3CX-3000A7's (has a 225 watt
> CCS  real grid...... the joke being you can use it as a dummy load
> for your FT-1000-D),
That's a good one, Jim.
> a grid fuse works very well.    "rectifier fuses" are very
> fast.     "Semiconductor fuses"   are even faster.       I install
> a simple  3 agc  bayonet  fuse holder on the rear apron  of all my
> linears..... and use the  appropriate  size grid  fuse.
> Here's the kicker.   The  grids are DIRECTLY grounded  to chassis...
> 1st.     The  fast acting grid fuse  is  simply wired  between
> chassis  and  neg  of  grid meter.....  or  chassis  to  grid  shunt.
>
> ###  the mass of a fuse  element is < 1 gram.... which is
> miniscule compared  to   the mass of a typ  grid.
> ####  When the  grid  fuse pops  open.....  there is NO  Return
> path  for  DC grid current.... amp can't be driven..... effectively
> shut off.......... very simple.... works every time.........end of
> story.

But wouldn't it put more feathers in your war bonnet to use something
that's more sophisticated and high-tech?

> ###  Install  some 6A10  safety  diodes  (  I use  2-3 in parallel
> for more peak surge)   rated at  1 kv - 6 A  CCS - 400 A  surge...
> EACH  between chassis  and B-     and also across plate and grid
> meters etc.
>
> ####  The problem, IMO.. with  30 ohm grid fuses... is.... with
> normal grid current flowing through  em....  you get a V drop
> across each resistor..... which amounts  to  wildy  varying   UN-
> NEEDED bias... added  to ur  existing zener, etc.    Also... with
> TWO  30 ohm  grid  resistor's... u  could  end up with just ONE of
> em blowing open.... and have  the remaining  tube  still
> working.    And no.... you don't  want the grid(s)  left  floating
> in mid air  after the 30  ohm resistor  explodes.

So it would seem, but a buoyant grid apparently causes no problem, no
matter whether the grid/gnd circuit opens or the HV-neg/gnd path
opens.   After all, they're in series.

> ###  IMO... a high speed,  "semi conductor fuse"  will blow a
> helluva lot faster than a 1/4 watt , 30 ohm resistor.

The trouble with semiconductors is that they tend to fail shorted,
not MIA.
> Also, one high speed  fuse  will  protect several tubes.... with
> just one fuse.   Also.... a rear panel  mounted fuse holder...
> makes  replacing  the  fuse a snap.....fast.

Fast, but also vulnerable to being replaced with a 20A-slowblow.

> ### SIZE the real grid fuse.... so it just handles the grid
> current.... don't oversize it.
> ### as  a side note.... some have installed a 100 K- 2 watt MF
> resistor across the  fuse holder... and/ or a MOV.
> ###  use the  electronic grid  protection  for the  4   watt  tiny
> grids...... and if you do use electronic  protection schemes......
> not only  kick the  linear (hotswitch it )  into standby... also
> apply  some neg voltage  to the ALC  jack on the xcvr.... and also
> remove the grnd  from the TX inhibit lead  (if u have a FT-1000-
> D.... all 3  of those  schemes  will  shut off the
> amp............. I use em for  high  reflected  power conditions.
What if the electronic protection's switch device C-E shorts?

> ###  electronic plate  current  protection schemes work pretty
> good  too... same deal.....  shuts the amp  off..... in addition to
> above...... some  will open off the HV  via a vac relay... vac
> contactor.... or a HV  relay designed to open circuit...fast.
>
> ### I use  globars  for glitch  resistors in the  larger  HV
> supplies ( 100-300 uf.)    consisting of  4 x 200 ohm globars in
> parallel... each  1" diam x 12"  long...... also use BUSS  HV
> sandfilled  fuses...5"  lone x 3/4" diam............. use one fuse
> in the B+....... and a 2nd  HV  fuse in one leg  of xfmr
> secondary.... to  diode board.     Use  one HV meter  in  RF
> deck.... and a 2nd HV meter  in  separate  HV  box.   That way.....
> when  B+  HV  fuse  pops open..... the plate V meter in the  RF
> deck reads zero.......... the  2nd HV plate  Meter  in the  HV
> supply... still reads  7800 Vdc.

Globars work okay in glitch service providing that the J-rating is a
consideration.  The most capable Globars for glitch service are the
SP type,  Presumably SP stands for surge protection.

cheers, Jim

> Later......... Jim   VE7RF

R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org