[Amps] crowbar TSPA

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] crowbar TSPA
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:15:56 -0600
Mark

That crowbar looks to be a good idea. Wolfhard Merz of DESY in
Germany has built a light triggered series thyrister CB to protect
klystrons at even higher voltage. His paper can also be found online
at the 2003 PAC conference or the 2004 EPAC conference.

All of the crowbars I deal with use either Ignitron or spark gap for
the shunt element. I am in the midst of designing a new one right
now, and was thinking of the same old mercury ignitron. For several
kiloamps at 30 kV, its hard to beat, although silicon devices are
coming closer as both the DESY and ASTEC projects have demonstrated
to the world.

I suppose you won't need more than one or two of the GTO or
thyristors in series for your power supply? You can get IGBTs for ~5
kV rating now, but would need a way to hold them latched until the
capacitor is drained. Also expect to pay a lot of money, probably
more than your amplifier costs.

73
John
K5PRO