Re: [Amps] AMPS

To: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AMPS
From: R L Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 05:36:08 -0700
On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:44 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

> Yesterday ended with two almost identical exchanges in different
> threads
> of the debate. I am pulling both back together here.

> I had replied:
>>>
>>> Despite requests in the past, you have never provided a specific
>>> example
>>> of a  circuit that needs a "grid protect transistor rated at >50A".
>>
>> An example is any amplifier that uses an 8877.
>>

> The question is about the control circuit, not the type of tube.
> PLEASE
> name a specific amplifier that has schematic we can all look at,
> showing
> a "grid protect transistor" in the configuration you're talking about.

So far, I found one model Alpha that uses a transistor amplifier to
drive a relay that interrupts the flow of grid-I, however, I remember
helping a friend repair an Alpha that has a shorted transistor in the
grid-protect circuit and one gold-sputtered 8874.  .

>>> The schematic of my grid-protection circuit is in the Triode Board
>>> user
>>> manual which is downloadable from the website. The only
>>> transistor in
>>> this circuit is a 2N2222 that senses a small fraction of the grid
>>> current, and can handle even extreme fault conditions.
>>
>> Does the 2N2222 interrupt the flow of grid current if the limit is
>> exceeded?
>
> Have you looked at the schematic yet?

No.  What is the URL of the schematic?

> If you have, you can see that the
> answer is "No, the 2N2222 is not located in the direct path of the
> grid
> current".

   So how does this circuit stop 50A of grid current?

> In a parallel thread of the debate, Rich had also replied:
>> On Jul 20, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
>>> I don't know of any electronic protection circuit that actually
>>> works
>>> that way. Despite requests in the past, Rich has never shown an
>>> example
>>> of what he claims.
>>
>> An 8877 cathode can emit 50A.  If 50A is flowing into the grid, how
>> does your electronic circuitry stop it?...
>
> I already posted the shorter version yesterday. The longer version
> (which is easier to understand because it includes diagrams) is in the
> downloadable user manual for the Triode Board. Here is a direct link:
> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/boards/triode/triode-manual.pdf

What is the URL of your schematic, Ian?

> My own circuit does not contain anything that could be correctly
> described as a "grid protect transistor" requiring a rating of >50A.
> Neither do I know of any other amplifier control circuit containing a
> transistor that fits that description.
>
> Unless Rich can provide a specific example of some other amplifier
> control circuit that does contain such a transistor, we may have to
> conclude that no such circuit actually exists.

As I recall, one model of Alpha 3, 8874 amps used a pass transistor
to interrupt the flow of dangerously high  grid current
R L MEASURES, AG6K. 805-386-3734
r@somis.org