Re: [Amps] grid fuses

To: "Lon W. Cottingham" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] grid fuses
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:42:45 -0400
Lon,

That's exactly the point I was trying to get at. Some protection is better than
none at all. If a tube arcs internally, it's gassy as an arc can't form in a
vacuum. It needs to be replaced no matter what. However, if we was to have an
arc between the anode and control grid, which kept happening for any amount of
time, it could surely damage the B+ supply. I seen a comment in another post
saying that the grid would not be a series circuit in the B+ supply if an arc
occurred between the control grid and anode, but it is. The current would be
drawn from ground (which the B+ supplies - is tied to), through the grid, and
arc to the anode then back to the B+ supply. Since the B+ supply uses the same
ground, it has a path that makes a series circuit which would allow the B+ to
arc across that gap. If it wasn't in a series circuit, there shouldn't be an
arc, the path has to make a complete circuit and the gas acts as the switch
closing the circuit so to speak by allowing the arc. The
  resistor/fuse won't benefit the tube any, but may save the B+ supply. In a
gassy tube, even an arc to the cathode could form, which I've never once argued
it couldn't. It's gassy, take it out and throw it in file 13. I'd much rather
to change a tube, than to do it and have to repair the B+ supply with it.

As far as a control grid charging up to some high positive potential, it can't
connected to ground, it's at ground potential. If it's open, the most it might
do would be to attract a few electrons being negative like was mentioned by
Bill. After this, the triode would act as a diode. The electrons being
negative, the same as the control grid can not make it positive. Electrons have
a negative polarity unless something has changed that I don't know about. The
definition of a charge is a substance receiving electrons and storing them
which makes it more negative, not positive. The only way to make it positive
would be to apply a positive potential to it like applying one to a screen
grid. In either case, I don't see this happening in a tube that is in operating
condition, or in one that the control grid is open from ground, both with a
good vacuum.

There was also a mention of a control grid forming a cathode. How can it be a
cathode unless it's heated red-white hot to where it would emit electrons? I
highly doubt it ever getting much warmer than the internal temperature of the
tube. The only way it could would be to short to another element allowing a
current to pass through it to ground heating it up. Then it would emit
electrons towards the anode. It would also have a source to draw the electrons
from. Every electron that is pulled from the cathode by the anode has to be
replaced with one from the negative rail since current only flows in one
direction.

The original question had to do with a 3-500Z if I recall, and some tried to
throw other tubes in the mix. I've tried to stick with discussing the 3-500Z
triode and safety measures for it.

It's also been stated on here, and by several off the list to me that the amp
was ok after a resistor blew that was placed in the grid circuit. The only
reason I think the whole discussion was started was to try and dis-prove and
belittle another member on this list.

Best,

Will