Re: [Amps] salvaging shorted tubes

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, "Amp Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] salvaging shorted tubes
From: "Lon W. Cottingham" <k5jv@kingwoodcable.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 18:24:04 -0500
Greetings to all,

        Will said about salvaging shorted tubes, "The only problem I thought
of though was that the tubes grids could have a gap in them created by the
arc thereby stopping so much of them from working at all."   Good point!  Of
the tubes I have salvaged, I have never compared them to new ratings.  I was
always very pleased when one worked at all.  Most of these "rejuvenated"
3-500Z have been ran in SB-220's, Henry's, or TL-922's.  None of these amps
run the tubes any where near there max, so a little damage to the tubes
innards is easily made up for with just a little bit more drive.  I have a
pair of "rejuvenated tubes running now in an HL-2200.  I get approximately
1,300 watts out on 80 meters with 100 watts drive.

73 de K5JV

 Lon W. Cottingham
1110 Golden Bear Ln.
Kingwood, TX 77339