[Amps] Before I turn on my amplifier . . . . . .

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Before I turn on my amplifier . . . . . .
From: n3nd@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:06:18 -0400
I recently had an amp failure. Upon inspection, I found remnants of an
arc between the bottom of the plate choke and chassis - which had
jumped substantially across an insulator.  In the Ten-Tec Centurion
amplifier, the plate choke is positioned immediately adjacent to the
internal fan which blows across the choke and tubes.

The insulator between the choke and chassis was melted as well and my
initial thought is that a critter had gotten itself across the chokes
HV winding and chassis.  I have a replacement choke and insulator and
am readying to replace them.  My question is, before I turn the amp on
after component replacement, should I look for something else or is
there concurrence that my suspicions have merit?

The original incident happened while transmitting.

Amp:  Ten-Tec Centurion

Dan -- N3ND