Re: [Amps] making aluminum heat sinks black

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] making aluminum heat sinks black
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@eltac.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:06:26 +0100

mike kendall wrote:
> I forgot to mention anything I purchase must be able to come through the US
> Mail as I am overseas.  Or, if it is really simple, I may be able to get it
> in-port here in Japan but prefer sourcing off the internet.
If you're going to blow air over it, black colour will contribute
little, if anything. Anodising (not sure of the term used elsewhere) is
the usual black treatment - with paint the thermal resistance in a few
layers of paint might negate the advantages of black. Most paint shops
have an 'etch primer' for painting raw aluminium. I suspect it's not
acidic or caustic, but have more/different solids to be better at
bonding, in which case the previous comment applies. The usual treatment
prior to painting at 'professional' grade is chromate passivation (no
way you get that through the post!).

After proper solvent degreasing, I find that ordinary acrylic spray cans
work ok.

Steve