Re: [Amps] making sinks black

To: "S. J. Blackwell" <w5lu@hotmail.com>, <slifamily@earthlink.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] making sinks black
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:47:02 -0400
> Most heat sinks now days have relatively tall closely
> spaced fins. For practical porposes the heat sink, from a
> radiation stand point, could be looked at as a block of
> material the length, width and height that would not
> include the fins.

Excellent point! Thanks for opening my eyes on this.

The interesting thing is this is how grounding systems and
antennas work also.

Radiation from an antenna has nothing to do with how much
stuff you pile up in a certain physical area. 10,000 feet of
wire in a ten inch box is still a ten inch box antenna.

Grounding on a boat hull has almost nothing to do with how
much "surface area" is squeezed into a given hull area by
adding fins to a grounding plate. A 4x4 plate is a 4x4 plate
even if it has 10,000 feet of etched area on the surface.

It should have dawned on me a heatsink would be the same,
where black fins look into other hot black fins at the same
potential.

73 Tom