Re: [Amps] 572B grid

To: kenw2dtc <kenw2dtc@comcast.net>, Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>,g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk, "carl s." <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>,Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 572B grid
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:35:20 +0200 (CEST)
>Perhaps this tech bulletin from 1964 will explain:

http://w2dtc.com/1964-waters-tech-bulletin.jpg<
I need a large tub of salt for this one. Like the clock that strikes 13 and
makes you wary of anything else it says, the claim that running the KWM2 PA at
30 watts per tube quiescent actually makes it run cooler is suspect, and so
makes the rest dubious. I presume that the 50 mA quiescent current is for both
tubes, but it's 30 watts as opposed to about 21 watts per tube at the lower
voltage. Plus there's no allowance for the increased dissipation when RF is
applied.  As I remember, 6146s were 25watts plate dissipation.
A touch of 1960's snake oil?
73
Peter G3RZP