Re: [Amps] conversion scale from dbu to microvolts

To: Fern Rivard <crc@cyberlink.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: [Amps] conversion scale from dbu to microvolts
From: Martin Sole <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:30:44 +0700
Hi Fern,

You need to be a little careful with some of the Japanese conversions
'sometimes'.

Ok, 0dBuV (for most people these days) is 1uV p.d. or loaded or
terminated or however you or your generator refer to it. In some cases
though Japanese documentation uses 0dBuV = 1uV e.m.f. or open circuit or
unloaded however you or your generator refer to it. Clearly the
difference is 6dB !!!

Long years ago many people used the open circuit numbers, now with most
things being 50 ohm the loaded numbers tend to dominate in which case

-7dBuV = 0.446uV p.d. or 0.892uV e.m.f

-13dBuv will be half the above (6dB difference) so 0.223uV p.d or
0.446uV e.m.f

+20dBuV 10uV p.d or 20uV e.m.f

In all cases 0dBuV = 1uV, 6dB up or down doubles or halves it
respectively. So if by chance they use the unloaded uV as a reference
you need to reduce the above numbers accordingly.

73
Martin HS0ZED