[Amps] Alpha power down question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Alpha power down question
From: Martin Sole <msole@loxinfo.co.th>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:38:03 +0700
Today, with KH8SI a nice signal, Murphy came to visit. The inner of the
RCA input jack on my Alpha 78 disintegrated, age? abuse? Changed it, no
problem but noticed something in the process.

With all tubes out of the amplifier if it is switched on and then off
the HV discharge time is several minutes. With the tubes in, the
discharge time is a matter of seconds, I also notice the anode current
meter swing slightly upscale when powering off the amplifier. So, what's
happening? Bias going down before the cathode stops emitting? Normal?
Dangerous?

Thanks

Martin HS0ZED