Re: [Amps] Testing amp with no air flow

To: "'k7rdx'" <k7rdx@charter.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Testing amp with no air flow
From: "Harold Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:07:10 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of
Dear Jim,

It's a question of economics and habit.

If you feel confident in powering up ceramic
devices without any airflow you are the one
who footed the bill.

The whole idea of the airflow scenario is that is the tube's
normal operating environment.

8877's are about $1,000.00 these days, yes?

I would think twice about powering any ceramic triode up
without airflow going, just as seriously as I would
think twice about immersing our tomcat in a sink full of
warm, sudsy water for a shampoo.

Hal
W4HBM

[snip]
I just checked fil voltage on my 8877 here (No blower ) watched it ramp-up
to 4.9vac in less than 10 secs and then pulled switch...No heat felt on tube
base in this short time interval...What`s the big deal unless you want to
test with rf conduction?(I do that too but with blower running&safe
connections) Jim K7RDX.
[snip]