Re: [Amps] drill bits

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] drill bits
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:43:36 -0600
I think its time to use the Torch

Instead may I recommend an ARC WELDER?

OK so this CBer I was working "with" in the olden days starts telling me a
story.  It was 1971 and he had just bought a new to him 1969 Plymouth Six
Pack Road Runner.

He wanted to put AIR SHOCKS on his new car.  So He puts it in his brother's
garage, jacks it up and places a pair of jack stands under the rear axel to
make it safe to be under.

He cant get the old shock absorber bolts off.  This is Minnesota and the
road salt even after 2 years has rusted the bolts.

SO HE DRAGS OUT THE WELDER.

At this point as I'm hearing the story, I'm wondering if maybe just maybe
he's grabbed the wrong tool?

Well his buddy told him to use a welder, well the only kind of welder in his
brother's garage...  Is an ARC WELDER...

He starts ARC WELDING off the rear shocks.  This reminds me of ANOTHER CBer
who brought a rig into me to fix after blowing the reverse diode and trying
to remove it with a BURNZ-O-MATIC torch and a whole roll of acid core
solder.  Oh sorry it must be my meds flaring again.

If any of you know anything about 1969 Plymouth "B" bodys you'd be arc
welding awful close to the gas tank...  During the break between one of his
welds...  BUZZZZHUM...  He sticks the welding rod to the tank...

He quickly twists the rod off the tank leaving a pinhole in the tank.

OH yeah I forgot to mention the spark started the stream of gasoline burning
as it came down all over him and the floor.

He slipped out from under the car and patted himself "out" and realized
several things were in the process of happening.

1. His new car (To Him) was in the process of burning itself to the ground.

2. He was inside his brother's garage.

3. His brother was going to kill him.

He climbed into his car.  We will call the guy PAUL.  As that was his name.

He started the car, put it in reverse and floored it.

At this point in hearing the story my eyes were getting way way big as I was
imagining this 69 Six Pack car Immolating itself..  I drove a 70 Six Pack
Runner at the time.

So at this point with his 4 speed in reverse and 440ci making all of 390HP
at nearly 7000 RPM Paul realized his rear end was still up on the jack
stands.

By this time the flames were completely surrounding the car and he barely
made it out of the burning garage alive.

He stood in the driveway and watched his pride and joy burn down his
brother's garage...  He then realized he hadn't called his insurance company
yet since buying the car earlier in the day and since he was about 17 or so
didn't have any previous insurance.

When I met him, he was still paying a couple hundred a month to the finance
company for the car.  I'm sure somewhere in there was the garage too.  He
did mention his brother wasn't talking to him anymore.  Yes it was a
detached garage.

The moral of the story?

Don't use an ARC WELDER when you should be using a different kind of WELDER.

I was told this story the day I administered his novice exam.

It's all my fault, I administered the exam, please forgive me!

Now can we get off the drill bits topic?  May I suggest Parasitic
Suppressors?

BOB DD