Re: [Amps] 4CX1500 class AB1 vs. AB2

To: Mike McCarthy W1NR <mike@w1nr.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500 class AB1 vs. AB2
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 04:16:47 +0100 (CET)
W1NR said:
>I know that it is designed for class AB2 service for very low
distortion. This seems to limit the tube to 1100W output. I am considering
adding a switch to change the screen and grid bias to allow me to run it in
AB1 service as well for 1500W output.<

Generally, there's more output in AB2 than in AB1. The data sheets I've found
suggest you can get 1800 watts with 4kV on the plate in AB1. AB2 requires a low
impedance RF drive, because you don't want the source impedance to be high
enough that you get distortion when grid current starts, annd you need a stiff,
preferably shunt regulated, grid bias supply. Are you sure about running AB1
for more output? I found a Penta data sheet on G8WRB's site: that definitely
shows AB1operation.

Losing screen volts with plate volts still on is no problem, BUT losing plate
volts with screen volts on definitely is. Likewise, losing grid bias isn't
nice, and an interlock is definitely suggested. I'd also suggest an interlock
for the air supply, too - and that interlock should also cut the heater if the
air fails.
73
Peter G3RZP